Still Confused About the Microbiome? Read This.
Struggling with information overload?
We feel you. The science of skincare is pretty vast and endless.
There's a plethora of information out there about probiotics, prebiotics, the microbiome, good bacteria and bad bacteria. It's enough to make your head spin and then some. Here's a quick and easy breakdown that'll help get the facts straight. This is by no means an exhaustive explanation, but a great way to start familiarizing yourself with the terminology used to describe our skincare's benefits.
The Skin's Microbiome and Other related terms
Get a hang of these high level concepts before you try to remember anything else!
1. The Microbiome - This is another word for the ecosystem of good bacteria, bad bacteria, and other microscopic organisms living on everyone's skin. What you do to your skin and your body will have an impact on this ecosystem.
2. Probiotics - These are good bacteria, aka microorganisms (or microscopic organism) that are living in the skin's microbiome. There are many different strains of both good and bad bacteria, which all have their own names. For example, one well known, good strain of probiotic is named, lactobacillus, which is also present in yogurt.
3. Prebiotics - Prebiotic is another name for certain types of plant fiber. Probiotics will eat prebiotics. Prebiotics help the good bacteria grow and multiply (it's like anything else, feed it and it will grow!)
4. Microbes - This is just another synonym for microorganism.
5. Skin Flora or Microbiota - This is referring to a diverse array or group of micro-organisms. It doesn't necessarily indicate one specific strain.
we're only just beginning to understand the microbiome
results from studies show that our skin health isn't disconnected from our overall well-being.
In Conclusion: Just remember, there are hundreds and hundreds of strains of good and bad bacteria that are living on your skin. The growing body of evidence shows that maintaining the balance of good and bad bacteria in your skin's microbiome is how you can not only obtain more beautiful skin, but achieve overall well-being.